Blog

De Gea to buy £16m football club

first_imgRelatedPosts UEFA Nations League: Spain’s Gaya nets late goal to snatch draw with Germany ‘Strong’ De Gea under no extra pressure from Man U, says Solskjaer De Gea should save Chelsea’s second goal 100 times out of 100 – Solskjaer Manchester United and Spain goalkeeper David De Gea is reportedly considering buying Spanish club Elche.The Valencia-based club are currently playing in Spain’s second division and were in La Liga as recently as 2015.According to Super Deporte, the club are available for £16 million and both parties are interested in taking talks further.It is believed that the 28-year-old’s interest in the side, currently managed by Pacheta, comes from his father being a massive fan of the team.Elche’s leading shareholder Jose Sepulcre had previously been negotiating a deal with player agent Christian Bragarnik, but talks have cooled in recent weeks. Tags: David De Gealast_img read more

West Ham must improve at set pieces – Pellegrini

first_imgRelatedPosts QPR slap N8.1b on Eberechi Eze Fulham join Eberechi Eze race Joe Hart pens two-year deal with Tottenham West Ham United must defend set pieces better after conceding a number of goals in a winless run stretching back to September, manager Manuel Pellegrini said on Thursday.West Ham, who were fifth in September, have failed to win their last five matches — which included three defeats — to leave them 13th in the standings.Pellegrini’s side have not kept a clean sheet since a 2-0 win over Manchester United, with first choice goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski not expected to return from a hip muscle injury until late December.He said: “Everyone must do better, including the manager and the players,” Pellegrini told reporters ahead of Saturday’s trip to Burnley.“As a team I think that we need to improve, especially at set pieces. They have been decisive – three goals from Newcastle, two from Crystal Palace.“I think that Newcastle scored three goals from set pieces, two from a counter-attack from set pieces. They had chances on the counter-attack because for different reasons we didn’t keep a player back.”Pellegrini, who won the Premier League title in 2013-14 with Manchester City, also said West Ham had ambitions of playing in Europe and their priority was a top-six finish.“The target for West Ham years ago was not to be relegated,” he added. “I didn’t come here for that. I think that we have the players to achieve top six and I think that if you fight you can win every game. We know how to do it.He said: “I always try to be optimistic, I always try to set my targets as high as I can. We must fight to be in the upper part of the table.”Burnley, who are 14th, can leapfrog West Ham with a win on Saturday and Pellegrini said he was wary of their physical threat in the air.“I think Burnley will always be a difficult team at home,” the Chilean said. “They have top players and make a lot of crosses, everyone knows that. If we win the game it is because we must try to play better than them.“They play a lot of crosses, fighting for the second ball, and it’s a style that in recent years has been very successful.” Tags: Manuel PellegriniWest Hamlast_img read more

Barca offers Xavi deal as manager

first_imgRelatedPosts Bayern Munich fans undergo Super Cup coronavirus tests Suarez agrees Atletico terms Simeone tests positive for coronavirus Barcelona have reportedly offered former midfielder Xavi a contract to replace Ernesto Valverde as manager. The Catalan giants were eliminated from the Spanish Super Cup on Thursday after a 3-2 defeat to Atletico Madrid, putting the 55-year-old under more pressure. RAC1 now reports that Barcelona have stepped up their search for potential replacements and that Eric Abidal, their sporting director, and Oscar Grau, their CEO, flew to Doha to meet with Xavi about the role. It is not yet known what was discussed but it is believed that the 39-year-old, who is currently in charge at Al-Sadd, was offered a two-and-a-half year deal to take over at Camp Nou at the end of the season. Xavi left Barcelona in 2015 after a playing career with the club that lasted almost two decades and saw him win more than 20 senior trophies, score 85 goals and play more than 760 competitive games. Other candidates linked with the Barcelona job include Thierry Henry, Roberto Martinez and Ronald Koeman.Tags: Atletico MadridBarcelona FCErnesto ValverdeSuper CupXavilast_img read more

Liverpool boss Klopp rules out January transfer exits

first_imgRelatedPosts Lampard: I still have confidence in Tomori Mane double eases Liverpool to win over 10-man Chelsea EPL: Chelsea, Liverpool in cagey duel Liverpool Manager Juergen Klopp has dismissed speculation linking Xherdan Shaqiri with a loan move to Italy, saying the club has no intention for that yet. Klopp said the club had no plan of letting any of their first-team players leave in the January transfer window. Shaqiri has been restricted to only 10 appearances for Liverpool across all competitions and Italian media has reported that AS Roma want the 28-year-old Swiss playmaker on loan until the end of the season. However, Klopp underlined the importance of squad depth as Liverpool seeks to secure their first league title in 30 years and defend their Champions League crown in the second half of the season. “We had the majority of December and January with a bench full of kids. Wonderful kids, but kids,” Klopp told a news conference on Wednesday. “It is not about Shaq or whatever, it is about pretty much everybody. We have to keep them for sorting our situation and not the situation for different clubs.” Liverpool, currently 13 points clear at the top of the table, are chasing a 14th consecutive league victory when they visit Wolverhampton Wanderers on Thursday. Defender Dejan Lovren is in contention to return to the squad, having recovered from a muscle injury sustained during Liverpool’s win against Salzburg in the group stage of the Champions League last month. “Dejan has trained now since the start of the week,” Klopp said. “So, (these are his) first steps out on the pitch, it is good.” James Milner, Naby Keita and Shaqiri remain on the sidelines with minor knocks but Klopp is confident the trio will return to action soon. Reuters/NAN.Tags: Jurgen KloppLiverpoolXherdan Shaqirilast_img read more

Efe Ajagba gets date to battle Cojanu

first_imgRelatedPosts Dabiri-Erewa hails reelection of Nigerian as UK Mayor, Ajagba’s US boxing victory Nigeria’s Efe Ajagba battles Rice Efe Ajagba, Kiladze in heavyweight showdown Undefeated heavyweight sensation Efe Ajagba will take on former title challenger Razvan Cojanu in the 10-round bout at Barclays Center, the home of Broolyyn Boxing, on March 7. The 25-year-old Ajagba gained widespread notoriety in August 2018 when his opponent, Curtis Harper, walked out of the ring after touching gloves to start the first round. Ajagba won the fight without throwing a punch as Harper was disqualified. Living in Stafford, Texas and training with renowned veteran trainer Ronnie Shields, Ajagba will make his 2020 debut and third career appearance after four victories in 2019. Born in Romania and now residing in Burbank, California, Cojanu (17-6, 9 KOs) most recently won a decision over Tamaz Zadishvili in October 2019. The 32-year-old has fought professionally since 2011 and rebounded from a defeat in his first pro fight to win 16 of his next 17 bouts. He defeated Zhiyu Wu in 2016 to earn a title fight against Joseph Parker, which he lost by decision in 2017. Cojanu would then go on to challenge top heavyweight contender Luis Ortiz, plus rising contenders Daniel Dubois and Nathan Gorman, in three straight fights from 2018 until his most recent triumph.Tags: Brooklyn BOxingCojanuEfe Ajagbalast_img read more

Wolves lead Arsenal in Dennis race

first_imgRelatedPosts Arsenal, Leeds, Everton battle for €40m Dennis Crystal Palace want Eze, Osayi-Samuel Leeds to rival Wolves for Emmanuel Dennis Wolverhampton Wanderers have moved ahead of Arsenal and a host of other Premier League rivals in the race to sign Emmanuel Dennis from Club Brugge, according to a report.The 22-year-old has attracted the attention of a number of European clubs as a result of his form in 2019-20, scoring nine goals across all competitions, including a brace against Real Madrid in the Champions League. Wolves are understood to be in the market for attacking reinforcements in order to provide more back-up for Raul Jimenez, who has made 44 appearances across all competitions this season.Patrick Cutrone was signed by the club last summer but left on loan for Fiorentina just six months later, and Eurosport claim that Dennis has now emerged as a possible target for Nuno Espirito Santo’s side.However, the Midlands outfit is expected to face competition for the Nigerian’s signature, with Arsenal, Everton, Newcastle United and Leicester City among the other clubs rumoured to be interested.Dennis has directly contributed to 11 goals in 33 appearances this term, including five in Brugge’s title-winning campaign.— Tags: Club BruggeEmmanuel DennisNuno Espirito Santolast_img read more

EPL: Spurs cage Gunners in London derby

first_imgToby Alderweireld’s late header handed Tottenham the bragging rights with a 2-1 victory over Arsenal in a lively north London derby.Spurs failed to register a shot on target in the reverse fixture at the Emirates and Lucas Moura rectified that inside the first minute, testing Emiliano Martinez with a long-range effort. The hosts built on their promising opening and missed a great chance to take the lead when Lucas found Harry Kane with a sublime lofted pass, but Martinez read Kane’s intentions with an audacious lob attempt.Arsenal were looking fluid up front as well and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, with 20 Premier League goals this season, will feel he should have found the back of the net after some good work from Hector Bellerin on the right flank.But the visitors did strike the first blow after a stunning effort from Lacazette.Serge Aurier lost possession on the edge of his own area and with help from Granit Xhaka, the French striker hammered a ferocious effort into the top corner, so powerful it almost broke the net.Their joy was short-lived – 100 seconds in fact – as defensive mistakes came back to haunt the Gunners yet again. Sead Kolasinac’s decision to pass back to David Luiz was a poor one and Heung-min Son pounced on the loose ball, rounding Martinez before cleverly dinking over the Argentine stopper.The game itself quickly transformed into something resembling a basketball match: end-to-end action, quick passing and plenty of attempts to find the net.No sooner had Ben Davies cracked a 30-yard pile driver against the crossbar with a superb fingertip from Martinez, Nicolas Pepe curled one just wide of the post.It seemed unrealistic to expect the second half to continue with such a high tempo and as Spurs attempted to soak up pressure from Arsenal, it did make for a more cagey contest.The visitors were the dominant force, however, and were inches away from taking the lead when Aubameyang fired against the crossbar on the hour mark. Kane nearly exposed the Gunners’ vulnerability at the back when Shkodran Mustafi committed and was beaten for pace.He set up Son for a tap-in, but Martinez bravely smothered the ball to save his side. Both goalkeepers were forced into action late on, with Lloris denying Aubameyang and the excellent Martinez making a crucial block on Kane.But Tottenham’s late pressure finally told from the corner when Toby Alderweireld rose highest and headed into the far corner with nine minutes to go.Arteta reacted with a triple substitution, sending on Cedric, Joe Willock and Reiss Nelson to try and find an equaliser.RelatedPosts Runarsson joins Arsenal on four-year deal Arsenal, Wolves want Michael Olise EPL: Saints tackle Mourinho’s Spurs But Spurs looked the more likely to kill off the game with Kane and Son both missing golden chances.The home side held on in true Mourinho style to climb above Arsenal in the table and march on in the battle for European qualification.Tags: ArsenalHarry KaneToby AlderweireldTottenhamlast_img read more

Evans: Team shocked by Fergie exit

first_img It was suggested the Red Devils squad knew what was going to happen 24 hours earlier at a golf day held close to United’s Carrington training ground. However, the Northern Ireland defender claimed it did not quite work out that way. “A lot was said about rumours flying around during our golf day but it wasn’t really like that,” said Evans. Press Association Jonny Evans has admitted the Manchester United players were stunned to learn of Sir Alex Ferguson’s retirement plans on Wednesday morning.center_img “We came in the next day, a meeting was called and the manager told us he was retiring. It was still a shock because no one saw it coming. Everyone is looking forward to working with David Moyes but are a bit gutted Sir Alex is leaving. He’s done a fantastic job here and everyone is grateful for that.” Most assume the decision has something to do with the 71-year-old’s health given he has always said that would be the determining factor in any decision to quit and it was confirmed last week he would have a hip operation in the summer. However, Darren Ferguson is adamant that is not the case. “There’s no problem with his health, contrary to what some people are saying,” Ferguson jnr said. “He’s got a small hip operation but there’s no difference to most 71-year-olds. It’s not a health decision. Basically he feels he’s gone out at the right time, he’s left the club in a fantastic position and they’ve hired a very good manager to replace him.” That manager is, of course, Moyes. The Everton boss is going to see out the season on Merseyside and made it clear he did not wish to speak about United at a press conference to preview his own club’s encounter with West Ham. However, as has been demanded of all other top-flight bosses over the past 48 hours, Moyes was asked what he felt about Ferguson’s exit, which, despite the obvious personal interest, he insists caught him by surprise. “I don’t think anyone thought the day would come when Sir Alex Ferguson retired,” he said. “We all thought he was superhuman. I didn’t know anything about it. But I do know he will be sorely missed. The respect he is held in is beyond any real words. “He has always been someone I have admired, then started to compete against. That was daunting enough. Everyone has great admiration for him. Any words I say won’t do it justice because of what the man has done.” last_img read more

Carragher prepares to sign off

first_imgLiverpool defender Jamie Carragher hopes to be remembered as a “decent lad who had a go” when he calls time on his playing career this weekend. On Sunday the 35-year-old will play his 737th and final match for the Reds against QPR at Anfield. The club plan to mark the occasion with a guard of honour from both sides, electronic advertising boards around the perimeter of the pitch displaying the messages ‘Thanks For The Memories, Carra’ and ‘A True Liverpool Legend’ and a Kop ‘JC 23’ mosaic. Carragher is not one for hogging the limelight and he insists he just wants appreciation not adulation and – asked how he would like to be remembered – the centre-back said: “A decent lad who had a go. Everyone has an opinion as to whether you are a good or a bad player – as long as everyone thought I put a shift in, home or away.” He added: “I’ve not been a flash type of fella. As a player you improve with experience but I’ve been the same sort of player (throughout his career).” What maybe has changed with age is his knowledge in knowing how to play the game. Manager Brendan Rodgers has been full of praise for Carragher since he brought him back into the side in mid-January looking for leadership. It did not matter he was 35 and had started only one Premier League match this season prior to that, his best form was almost instantaneous. Carragher puts that down to his straightforward attitude. “My approach is that every game is important,” he added on LFC TV. “It doesn’t bother me who we play – if I don’t play well I get upset with myself after the game. “I’m not the type who gets a bit cocky and tries to do things. I’ve always played the same. I think tackling has become over-rated. It is getting more and more about reading situations.” center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Hamburg eye Djourou deal

first_imgHamburg are keen to bring Arsenal defender Johan Djourou back to the Bundesliga. The Switzerland defender spent the second half of last term on loan with Hannover, who are also reportedly keen on keeping him for another season. “We would loan him, but we would also buy him, depending on what Arsenal prefer,” said Hamburg’s director of sport Oliver Kreuzer. Kreuzer believes his side have more to offer the 26-year-old and is confident a deal will be struck. “Hannover played well in Europe last season, but Hamburg is Hamburg,” he told the Bild newspaper. “HSV is HSV, and we are just a better club.” Djourou appeared 13 times for the Reds between January and May this year and is contracted to the Gunners until 2015. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more