Category: mftctsdx

Rookie Jamaican pacer ‘pumped up’ for A Team baptism

first_imgBRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CMC): The Jamaican soldier, who was a surprise call-up for the upcoming West Indies A team tour of Sri Lanka, has described his selection as “awesome” and says he is “pumped up”  and “ready” to make use of the opportunity. Reynard Leveridge, a towering six-footer, serving in the Jamaica Defence Force (JDF) for the past seven years, received an early birthday gift when he was included on a 14-member squad for the tour. Leveridge, who turns 26 tomorrow and who has never played first class cricket, has been preparing for the tour with the squad which will be led by Barbados’ Shamarh Brooks. “Getting picked for the West Indies A team and on my birthday, it’s coming up Thursday the 15th, I am ready. I am pumped up,” said the rookie Jamaican fast bowler, who caught the eye bowling with pace and hostility. “It is just an awesome feeling being here on my birthday away from home. Away from family, but I don’t mind. It is my dream to be in this camp and I really appreciate it.” Leveridge created a huge impression on many who saw him bowl in the nets earlier this year to India and West Indies Test players, ahead of the recent Sabina Park Test. He has been a consistent wicket-taker in Jamaica’s club matches over the last two years and would have made the Jamaica first class team last season after he took the most wickets at trials. However, he was ruled out with a side strain. “It was really a test and I enjoyed it,” said Leveridge, referring to his experience bowling to Test players. “I am bowling to the top batsmen in the world and to stand out at that level is just an awesome feeling.” Leveridge had a late start to his cricket career, after selectors noticed him during a camp held by the JDF about two years ago. After basic training he began playing for the army and helped them secure back-to-back Senior Cup titles. “While working on the Test match India versus the West Indies I met Ian Bishop. He was telling me that he was hearing a lot of good things. He saw me bowl a couple times and he told me I should just keep working hard,” said Leveridge, a former Jamaica national hockey player since the age of 15. “My plan to get into the West Indies team is to put out my best. Stay strong. Stay focused. Keep fit. A lot of training because it is a lot of work getting to the Test level, the international level.” West Indies A will play Sri Lanka A in three four-day games from October 4-21 and three one-dayers from October 24-30.last_img read more

De Ocampo, Hodge to miss first month of Philippine Cup

first_imgPhoto by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netMeralco’s redemption waltz into the PBA Philippine Cup is off to a shaky start as two of its main players won’t be suiting up in time for the Dec. 17 opening.Forwards Ranidel De Ocampo and Cliff Hodge are still nursing injuries and head coach Norman Black said the two are likely to return in the early January.ADVERTISEMENT Kiss-and-tell matinee idol’s conquests: True stories or tall tales? Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene View comments MOST READ LATEST STORIES It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson “Ranidel and Cliff won’t be starting the conference with us because of injuries, hopefully Reynel Hugnatan will be back in time for the start of the conference,” said Black Wednesday at Meralco Gym.De Ocampo is still nursing the calf injury that forced him to sit out the last four games of the Governors’ Cup Finals while Hodge had surgery to remove bone spurs in his ankles.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSBrian Heruela arrival bolsters Phoenix backcourt, defenseWith De Ocampo sitting out until January and Hodge until the end of December, Meralco will look to rely on 14-year veteran Reynel Hugnatan to take care of big man duties.“It’s going to be a little difficult for us especially missing key players,” said Black. “We’ll just try to be as competitive as possible.” Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hourscenter_img Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Jo Koy: My brain always wants to think funny The Bolts have not reached the post-season of the All-Filipino Cup since their playoff appearance two years ago. This despite making the finals of the Governors’ Cup for back-to-back seasons. Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next PH’s Josie Gabuco boxing light flyweight final (HIGHLIGHTS) PLAY LIST 02:39PH’s Josie Gabuco boxing light flyweight final (HIGHLIGHTS)01:33Leo Austria, SMB wary of ‘more experienced’ Hotshots ahead of PBA Finals rematch01:02Fans fill up Philippine Arena for SEA Games opening02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Phivolcs records 2 ‘discrete weak ash explosions’ at Taal Volcano Jeron Teng learns the ropes OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacsonlast_img read more

Baby Heart visits GPHC for the 5th time

first_imgSurgeons from the International Children’s Heart Foundation (ICHF), Baby Heart visited Guyana for the fifth time to perform heart surgeries on children at the Georgetown Public Hospital, in addition to providing training to medical officials.The ICHF strives to deliver the skills, technology and knowledge to cure and care for children with congenital heart disease in developing nations. The ICHF says it does this regardless of country of origin, race, religion or gender. Their goal is to make the need for ICHF obsolete and work towards this goal through their medical mission trips, where they operate on children and educate local healthcare professionals.Since their first visit to Guyana in 2014, the trained surgeons of Baby Heart have conducted more than 57 operations on children living within the country.According to one of the several Paediatric Cardiac Surgeons on Thursday, a total of 27 Guyanese between the ages of three months to 20 years old have benefited from their visit this time around, while training with the local medical team is ongoing.He highlighted that though there are significant signs of inexperience within the medical facility, he noted that a lot of visible progress has been made due to previous training sessions.“We are moving forward with all the training we’ve been doing with the medical team here. We have seen some progress, but there’s certainly a long way to go,” he said.The surgeon explained that the types of surgery conducted included atrioventricular canals among many others.Elaborating of the types of training sessions provided for the medical staff, the surgeon voiced that it includes bedside training with nurses and physicians. He also noted that they are presently organising lectures in an effort to maintain medical training online for GPHC nurses with Baby Heart nurses in the United States.The Paediatric Cardiac Surgeon pointed out that it was proposed to the Public Health Minister that Baby Heart increases its trip to the Georgetown Public Hospital to four times a year. This, they said, was agreed to and through this agreement, Baby Heart has scheduled their next visit to the GPHC in September of this year.last_img read more

Essequibians fume as constant power outages plague region

first_imgResidents on the Essequibo Coast (Region Two) from Charity to Zorg en Vlygt are up in arms against the treatment being meted out to them by the Guyana Power & Light Inc. Guyana Times understands that the Wartsila generator plants at Anna Regina are currently down as a result of mechanical problems.President of the Essequibo Chambers of Commerce, Deleep Singh, expressing dissatisfaction at the Guyana Power and Light Inc, has revealed that businesses are counting thousands of dollars in losses, since a number of items have been spoilt as a result of the prolonged power outages.President of the Essequibo Chambers of Commerce- Deleep SinghEven more frustrating for residents is the fact that the Guyana Power and Light has not informed residents of what has led to the outages. According to Singh, this has served as a huge inconvenience for those who are in the poultry business, and they have complained of having to purchase extra ice to preserve their plucked chicken. He said other residents in the region have suffered major blows to their livelihood, and the region’s economy is suffering due to the constant power outage.Residents, particularly from Queenstown, Affiance, Anna Regina, Walton Hall and Charity to the extreme south, are significantly affected, and complain that power outages have been a prevalent occurrence for over a month.“Every other day we experiencing hours of power outages, no one in authority saying anything” a resident said.Businesses such as salons, small shop owners, radio lovers, tailors, restaurant owners, and fishermen living in those areas are complaining bitterly, since their trade is affected. In 2016, the power plant located in Anna Regina burst into flames and resulted in several pieces of machinery being damaged. Officers from the Anna Regina Fire Station had to render their services to assist in saving some of the plant’s machinery.Many businessmen and gas station owners have spoken out against the constant episodes of blackout being experienced in the region, and have said they are of the view that the GPL should at least run a schedule or inform them when electricity will be supplied.This newspaper previously reported the region’s Independence flag-raising ceremony was disrupted twice by power outages in May this year.Region Two (Pomeroon/Supenaam) Chairman Daveanand Ramdatt has since bemoaned the unacceptable service of the company that Essequibians are forced to live with. Ramdatt deemed GPL’s shortcomings unacceptable, and said he cannot understand why, even as Guyana celebrates 51 years of Independence, there is an unreliable power supply, despite the country’s vast natural resources.The Chairman alluded to the fact that Region Two has been experiencing severe power outages, and several complaints made to the company have fallen on deaf ears.last_img read more

Loew blocked from meeting Ozil at Arsenal training – report

first_img0Shares0000Germany head coach Joachim Loew (L) talks to midfielder Mesut Ozil during a training session last March. Ozil quit international duty in July, citing racism and disrespect within the German FA (DFB) and has reportedly broken contact with Loew. © AFP/File / Patrik STOLLARZBERLIN, Germany, Sep 26 – Germany head coach Joachim Loew was reportedly blocked from meeting Mesut Ozil at Arsenal’s training ground on Monday to discuss the midfielder’s fiery retirement from international duty.Loew and Germany’s team director Oliver Bierhoff were in London at the weekend to take part in a FIFA coaching congress and then visited Arsenal’s training ground in Colney, north of London, for clear-the-air talks with Ozil. According to German daily Bild, Loew and Bierhoff were turned away at the entrance to Arsenal’s training ground, on the orders of Gunners’ head coach Unai Emery, while the squad was put through a recovery session.The visit had been previously arranged, so Loew and Bierhoff later met the Gunners’ Germany internationals Bernd Leno and Shkodran Mustafi at the club’s visitors centre without speaking to Ozil.“We would have liked to have spoken to Mesut, but we have to accept that at the moment he doesn’t want to have this conversation with us,” said Bierhoff.Ozil’s agent Erkut Sogut, who Bierhoff had reportedly contacted before the visit, declined to comment on the reason for the rejection.At the start of the month, Loew said he has often already tried to contact Ozil, but without success.After 92 appearances, 23 goals and 40 assists for Germany, Ozil retired from international duty in July, citing ‘disrespect and racism’ within the German Football Association (DFB), taking direct aim at president Reinhard Grindel.“In the eyes of Grindel and his supporters, I am German when we win, but I am an immigrant when we lose,” the 2014 World Cup winner, who was born in Germany to Turkish parents, wrote in a statement.Having been the target of xenophobic comments on social media and singled out for blame in the wake of Germany’s woeful World Cup display, Ozil, 29, received little public support from Loew or Germany’s stars.Loew only responded publically to Ozil’s claims at the end of August when he rejected any notion of racism within the national team.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Why couldn’t he do this at Arsenal? Former Gunner scores a beauty

first_imgHe was branded a flop following a less than stellar spell at Arsenal, but Gervinho is looking like a world beater following his switch to Roma 18 months ago.The Ivory Coast international was on form yet again on Thursday evening, scoring a sublime goal against Feyenoord that is up there with the best strikes of the season.Running across his marker, Gervinho nonchalently flicked the ball between his legs and into the net without breaking stride, perhaps leaving Arsenal fans wondering why he couldn’t do the same when playing at the Emirates.last_img read more

FAI INTERMEDIATE CUP: DRUMKEEN UTD 0, VERONA (DUBLIN) 2

first_imgDRUMKEEN United joined Kildrum Tigers in being knocked out the FAI Intermediate Cup today.The Donegal men went down 2-0 to a classy Verona side from Dublin.  FAI INTERMEDIATE CUP: DRUMKEEN UTD 0, VERONA (DUBLIN) 2 was last modified: January 29th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:drumkeen unitedlast_img read more

Bush reading Teddy book

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORERose Parade grand marshal Rita Moreno talks New Year’s Day outfit and ‘West Side Story’ remake In a review, former President Jimmy Carter said author Patricia O’Toole describes Roosevelt’s later years, addressing “frustrated ambitions, Republican politics, third-party strategy and top-level contention about war and peace.” Duffy said Bush also is reading “Imperial Grunts: The American Military on the Ground” by Robert D. Kaplan. The book is about how U.S. imperialism and the global war on terrorism are executed around the world. “He reads books of all stripes and persuasion, and he decided to read it,” Duffy said. It’s not known if one of these books was a Christmas present from first lady Laura Bush. Besides a book, she gave the president clothes and biking gear. He gave her jewelry and a DVD player for the ranch. Besides reading, Bush is riding his bike at his ranch and working in two- to three-hour sessions cutting and clearing brush. He’s also receiving regular intelligence briefings and doing policy work, but has not yet met with his speechwriters about his January State of the Union address, Duffy said. CRAWFORD, Texas – Read nothing into President George W. Bush’s current choice in books, the White House says. The president is reading “When Trumpets Call: Theodore Roosevelt After the White House,” but presidential spokesman Trent Duffy said Bush is not thinking about his post-Oval Office days. “He is an avid reader and the president knows full well that he’s got a lot of time left in this second term and he’s going to accomplish big things,” Duffy said here Tuesday where Bush is relaxing between Christmas and New Year’s. Duffy said Brian Williams, anchor of “NBC Nightly News,” recommended the book to the president. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

WOMAN’S BODY FOUND WASHED UP OFF CO DONEGAL

first_imgBREAKING NEWS: The body of a woman has been recovered off the coast of Co Donegal today.Siobhan McGreadThe body was found washed up on rocks near Ballyshannon this afternoon.It is thought the body could be that of missing local woman Siobhan McGread. The 51 year old went missing on February 19th last after last being seen walking on some cliffs at Roguey Walk at Bundoran.The body was found today at Creevy – approximately 10kms from where Ms McGread was last seen.Some clothes had been found on the shoreline where Ms McGread was last spotted.A number of air and sea searches was launched at the time but no body was recovered. Gardai are awaiting family members to officially identify the body. WOMAN’S BODY FOUND WASHED UP OFF CO DONEGAL was last modified: March 9th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Donegal Town library to be completed by 2020 – McHugh

first_imgDonegal TD Joe McHugh has secured a €2.1million investment to develop a new community facility housing a public library, a family resource centre and An Foróige in Donegal Town.Almost half of the funding has been awarded by Michael Ring, Minister for Rural and Community Development, and the remainder will be provided by Donegal County Council.Mr McHugh said: “Libraries are a part of the social fabric of a community and this significant investment will do wonders for bringing people together to learn from each other, not just from books. “It is not just a place for storing books, this new facility will become a community hub and help as a place for people to develop skills and interests.“I cannot thank Minister Ring highly enough for the work that he and his department have put into getting this multimillion euro investment over the line.“It will pay off in spades with the value it will bring to the community of Donegal Town.”The project is due to be complete by 2020. The multi-purpose community facility will include a new public library running to 630 square metres.It is expected to attract an additional 70-80,000 visits a year as more local people, visitors and tourists make use of the new facility.Michael Ring, Minister for Rural and Community Development, said: “I am delighted to allocate €1 million for this multi-purpose facility which will have a really positive impact on Donegal Town.“The library will meet the significant and diverse needs of the local community and will act as a hub of educational, cultural, information resources and civic engagement.”Donegal Town library to be completed by 2020 – McHugh was last modified: May 17th, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Donegal TownJoe McHughlibrarylast_img read more