In “victory for impunity,” court acquits alleged drug baron of journalist’s murder

first_img September 11, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 In “victory for impunity,” court acquits alleged drug baron of journalist’s murder New wave of censorship targeting critical media outlets Help by sharing this information Receive email alerts RSF_en Follow the news on Venezuela News to go further VenezuelaAmericas January 13, 2021 Find out more Newscenter_img Two journalists murdered just days apart in Venezuela News Reporters Without Borders calls for a review of the trial of alleged regional drug baron Ceferino García, who was acquitted by a court in Maturín, in the northeastern state of Monagas, on 28 August of masterminding the murder of Mauro Marcano. A radio and newspaper journalist, Marcano was gunned down outside his Maturín home on 1 September 2004. “This verdict is a victory for impunity over justice and highlights the ability of drug traffickers to obtain protection from local officials,” Reporters Without Borders said. “It will enable wrongdoers to continue sowing terror without fear of prosecution. We urge the judicial authorities not to yield to pressure and intimidation and to continue their investigation, so that Marcano’s murder does not remain unpunished.”Arrested with false papers in nearby Trinidad and Tobago in 2006, García was brought back to Venezuela and charged with Marcano’s murder. At the end of a trial consisting of 11 hearings, a jury found on 28 August that there was not enough evidence to link García to the murder and acquitted him. The judge in charge of the case, Larry Siluera, nonetheless thought there had been enough evidence to convict García, pointing out that Marcano had accused García in newspaper articles of heading a drug gang known as the Cartel del Sol.Marcano hosted a programme on Radio Maturín 1080 AM and was a columnist for El Oriental, a local daily. His daughter, Yasira Marcano, voiced outrage after García’s acquittal. “It seems the verdict was decided in advance,” she said. “During the final hearing, García was complaining that it had not yet been issued. He already knew what the verdict would be.”Former vice-president José Vicente Rangel, a columnist with the Últimas Noticias daily, described the verdict as “Marcano’s second death.” Reporters Without Borders shares his disappointment and reiterates its solidarity with the Marcano family. News Organisation August 25, 2020 Find out more VenezuelaAmericas Coronavirus “information heroes” – journalism that saves lives June 15, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

Read More →

2 dead, several injured as car hits pedestrians in New Orleans while city celebrates Mardi Gras: Police

first_imgOrleans Parish Sheriff’s Office(NEW ORLEANS) — Two people are dead and several others were injured after a car allegedly crashed into a number of bicyclists and pedestrians in New Orleans — about two miles away from the Mardi Gras festivities, police said.The New Orleans Police Department said it has a suspect involved with the crash in custody. The driver is undergoing standard testing, but police said they believe the driver was intoxicated.Tashonty Toney, 32, has been charged with two counts of vehicular homicide, seven counts of vehicular negligent injury, hit and run and reckless operation.Police held a press conference late Saturday and said eight people were struck in total, including two dead on scene and five who were transported to the hospital. Three of those transported are in critical condition, police said. One person refused transport to the hospital.A man and woman, both around 30 years old, were killed, according to The Associated Press.The accident happened on the 3200 block of Esplanade Avenue, a couple miles northwest of the French Quarter. It does not appear to have any connection to the festivities.Police said they already have footage of the incident from three different surveillance cameras.The driver struck people over a course of three blocks.“Initial reports show two victims were struck by a vehicle at the location. The victims were pronounced dead on scene by EMS,” the New Orleans Police Department tweeted.The incident happened in the Bayou St. John neighborhood as revelers began celebrating Carnival a short distance away on Bourbon Street. The celebrations are picking up in advance of Fat Tuesday, which closes out the celebrations this week.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Read More →

Pretending the real deal

first_img O’Brien senior said: “She is a funny lady. She gives trouble at the stalls and needs to be loaded early. “She has loads of ability and she showed that at Navan. She could go for the Guineas (at the Curragh on May 26) now and she might step up to a mile and a quarter. She is a fine big filly.” Press Association The Aidan O’Brien-trained filly only broke her maiden at Navan on Tuesday and clearly has an appetite for racing. Joseph O’Brien’s mount (6-1) made noticeable progress at the three-furlong marker and made a positive move once straightened for home. David Wachman’s Hint Of A Tint, who had been disappointing when favourite on her seasonal bow, put down a strong challenge but Just Pretending pulled out enough to prevail by a neck. center_img Just Pretending made a quick return to action pay dividends as she took top honours in the Derrinstown Stud 1,000 Guineas Trial at Leopardstown.last_img read more

Read More →

Inspection in Zetra: Hall Meets Criteria for EBEL League Games

first_imgSlovenian hockey expert, delegate and technical supervisor of the International EBEL League Matjaž Žargi is in Sarajevo these days, where he did a technical inspection of Zetra hall and its icy surface ahead of the EBEL League games.Žargi told radiosarajevo.ba that Zetra meets the requirements for holding the games.‘’The current situation in Zetra is very good, and we found a few details that the organizer has to address before the start of the big event. The protective fence and the protective safety net has to be fixed, because in this sport the most important thing is the safety of the players’’.On occasion of celebrating the 30 years since the Olympic Games in Sarajevo, next weekend in Zetra a three-day ice spectacle called ‘Ice Fest’ will be held.As part of the event, on Friday, 10 January an ice hockey game between Telemach Olimpija from Slovnia and VSV Villach from Austria will be held of the European EBEL League. On Sunday, 12 January, Olimpija will play against Ebel KAC Klagenfurt, Austria. On Saturday, a game for children will take place, and Ice Disko in the evening.Tickets for the EBEL league matches, the biggest hockey spectacle in Sarajevo in the last 25 years, costs 5 BAM, and can be bought on Kupikartu.ba.(Source: radiosarajevo.ba)last_img read more

Read More →

Wellington Police Notes: Friday, July 1 to Monday, July 4, 2016

first_imgWellington Police notes: Friday, July 1, 2016 to Monday, July 4, 2016: Friday, July 1, 2016•12:45 p.m. Officers investigated a theft of gasoline in the 1400 block E. 16th, Wellington by an unknown suspect.•1 p.m. Officers investigated aggravated indecent liberties in the Wellington.•1 p.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 100 block N. Washington, Wellington.•3:21 p.m. Officers investigated a jewelry burglary in the 300 block N. Elm, Wellington. Jewelry was returned to owner.•5:21 p.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 1500 block W. Harvey, Wellington.•Alyssa D. Leon, 23, Wellington was served a summons to appear for criminal damage to property.Saturday, July 2, 2016•12:59 a.m. Officers investigated a domestic battery by known suspect(s) in the 400 block E. Maple, Wellington.•9:37 a.m. Officers investigated a theft of services in the 1400 block Michigan, Wellington by known suspect.•10:50 a.m. Officers investigated criminal trespass in the 800 block N. Woodlawn, Wellington by known suspect.•2 p.m. Tommy L. D. Farley, 23, Wellington was issued a notice to appear for disobeyed traffic signal.•2:09 p.m. Officers investigated possession of depressant, possession of drug paraphernalia and speeding in the 100 block W. 15th, Wellington.•2:21 p.m. Colton L. Wilson, 26, Wichita, was arrested, charged and confined with possession of depressant, possession of drug paraphernalia and speeding.•4:45 p.m. Rosario Delgado, 39, Bentley, was issued a notice to appear for disobeyed stop sign.•6:23 p.m. Officers conducted a welfare check in the 900 block W. 7th, Wellington.Sunday, July 3, 2016•1:40 p.m. Timothy T. Wood, 28, Wellington was issued a notice to appear for defective brake light.Monday, July 4, 2016•12:24 a.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 1000 block W. College, Wellington.•1:18 a.m. Officers took a report of a trespass warning in the 900 block E. 7th, Wellington by known subject.•8:38 a.m. Officers investigated a burglary and theft in the 700 block S. Washington, Wellington.•9:27 a.m. Officers investigated a theft in the 1400 block N. Stewart, Wellington.•10:58 a.m. Officers investigated a theft and criminal trespass in the 1400 block N. Day, Wellington by unknown suspect(s).•1:22 p.m. Officers investigated a theft in the 1500 block N. Day, Wellington.•2:09 p.m. Officers investigated a burglary and theft in the 300 block S. Jefferson, Wellington.•2:47 p.m. Officers investigated a theft in the 1400 block N. Michigan, Wellington by known suspect.•3:02 p.m. Mallory J. McIntire, 31, Wellington was arrested and charged with theft.•7:21 p.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 1500 block N. Keyes, Wellington.•10:41 p.m. Officers investigated possession of stimulants, possession of drug paraphernalia and obstruction of law enforcement officers in the 1000 block E. 16th, Wellington by known suspect(s).last_img read more

Read More →

Review: Mercedes-Benz G55 AMG

first_imgThe G-wagen, from its very birth, was meant to be a war machine. You see the German armed forces wanted their own squad carrier, which led Mercedes-Benz to create the Galendawagen, German for ‘cross country vehicle’. But like the Humvee in the US, the G-wagen soon caught the fancy of civilians and over the years, Mercedes-Benz has been giving it more bling than the army would need. The German manufacturer also decided to send the G-wagen to its tuning division–AMG. The result was the G55 AMG.As far as looks go, you either hate it or you love it. It is boxy with 90 degrees being the dominant angle that pervades through the length, breadth and height of this SUV. For its part, to further enhance the G55’s awesome road presence, AMG has added a chrome bullbar, Mercedes sports grille, massive alloys, side exhausts and badges and logos in every nook and cranny. The massive 5.5-litre supercharged V8 is a work of art. Moreover being hand-built, you also get a little plate with signatures of the guys who made it. The interiors instantly bathe you in luxury. There’s a large multifunction steering wheel behind which sits a rather small and old school dash. The electrically adjustable seats are comfortable and from the driver’s perch, visibility up ahead and around is top class. The rear seats follow the theatre style pattern. They also have individual DVD screens.Start her up and the exhaust spews out a sinister burble before settling down. Slot the stick in ‘D’ and if you have given it the full beans, expect to get pushed into the seats as the G55 takes off rather ferociously while your ears suffer an assault from the AMG exhausts.With the 100 kmph dash taken care of in 5.8s, the G55 can give many a low slung sports car a run for its money. As the speed climbs rapidly the automatic gearbox shifts seamlessly to complement the engine well and in no time the speedo hits 180 kmph.This lunacy has a profound effect on the fuel economy for the trip computer at this point was indicating 28.8l/100 km (3.5 kmpl). The G55 is also uncomfortable at high speed. Even on smooth tarmac, it has a tendency to bob around. However, this stiff nature does show its benefits around corners where it exhibits minimal roll and good handling. The brakes have enormous bite. Last but not the least, the G55 AMG is a true blue off-roader too and to this effect the SUV gets lockable differentials and height adjustable suspension to ensure that its underbody is safe and sound.The G55 is surely one of the coolest SUVs in the market today. On the downside though its ride quality and the steering could have been better. And then there is the small issue of price. With a tag of Rs. 1.24 crore, Mercedes would probably have done better had it introduced the stock G-wagon and had this as an option for the power hungry.Tour reportThe G55 AMG has a super torquey and extremely powerful engine, is an SUV with go-anywhere abilities, lots of entertainment options and safety equipment. To boot, it also gets two rows of seating with comfortable seats and good amount of space for all. So that should see its touring quotient soar. The only thing that pulls it down is the car’s fuel efficiency.Engine: 5439 cc, V8, petrolMax power: 507 [email protected] rpmMax torque: 700 [email protected] rpmGearbox: 5-speed autoWheelbase (mm): 2850LxWxH (mm): 4662 x 2007 x 1931Price: Rs. 1.24 crore (ex-showroom, Delhi)Rating: * * * *Close upThe three buttons at the top of the dash, between the AC vents, are for locking each of the three differentials of the G55 AMG. They are easy to reach and the buttons are easy to operate.Despite its rugged, off-roader, go-anywhere nature and character, the G55 AMG boasts all the luxury one would expect in a Mercedes-Benz. So rear passengers get individual DVD screens.The electrically adjustable seats of the G55 AMG are comfortable and from the driver’s perch, visibility up ahead and around is top class. The rear seats follow the theatre style pattern.The boot is a large flat bay and can hold quite a bit of cargo. Note the additional crossbar behind the rear seat, for extra support when the vehicle is being driven over rough roads.Hyosung ST7Just the other day I was taking stock of the appliances and gadgets I use at home. And almost everything I own is Korean. So, when I was invited to ride a couple of Korean high-end motorcycles recently, I was excited. The motorcycles in question were from Hyosung but are being assembled by Garware Motors in India, the motoring arm of the large Garware enterprise. And it began with the ST7. It is what Americans call an entry-level cruiser. In India, it’s just below the truly expensive and high-end cruisers displacing over a litre. This one though employs a 678 cc V-twin. But, before we get to the engine, it must be said, for sheer presence, the ST7 steals the show–loads of chrome, a low stance, fat tyres, easy-to-reach handlebars and a chunky engine. Even after you mount the bike, the feel of the cruiser stays with you. The engine though is anything but refined. Also, the gearbox takes some effort to slot in and even though the clutch is relatively light to use, shifting on the ST7 isn’t smooth.On the move, the low and mid range punch of the engine is quite potent. So, if you are generous with the throttle, you’d be sitting over 100 kmph before you know it. And the ST7 can sit at this speed all day long without complaint. Then on, things begin to get buzzy again, even though the bike will get to about 140 kmph without trying too hard. It wallows and floats so much at over 120 kmph that you need a brave heart to keep the ST7’s throttle pinned. It’s also not very comfortable around bends. On anything less than perfect roads, the bike’s front end jars.The bottomline: Buy the ST7 if you love posing. It’s a bike you would like looking at. It will be the cheapest cruiser at less than Rs. 7 lakh.-Vikrant Singhadvertisementadvertisementlast_img read more

Read More →

(Reopens DES 38)

first_imgMeanwhile, in a statement issued in Mumbai, Kamat denied the media reports that he had objected to the party nominating P Chidambaram to the Rajya Sabha from Maharashtra, and also the nomination of Narayan Rane for the state Legislative Council election. He said that Chidambaram was a very senior and respected leader of the party, and he himself had worked under the former Home Minister as a Minister of State for Home, and held Chidambaram in a very high esteem. Kamat also said he had no differences with Rane, and there was no question of having objected to the nomination of either leader. He blamed the media reports on “unscrupulous rumour mongers”. PTI APM KRK RCJlast_img read more

Read More →

10 months agoPSG keeper Buffon: Man Utd? They could buy new players – and change coach

first_imgPSG keeper Buffon: Man Utd? They could buy new players – and change coachby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the lovePSG goalkeeper Gigi Buffon says they cannot underestimate Champions League opponents Manchester United.The two teams will meet in the round of 16.Buffon said, “No, it’s not an easy draw. Some teams had a complicated draw, others did better. I saw that Juve inherited a difficult draw with Atlético de Madrid. Bayern Munich drew Liverpool. Then there is Barcelona again, Real Madrid. “This is an intermediate draw. We will have to be brave. We will have to have the same mentality as that shown in the last matches of the Champions League. But I will also add that the Champions League resumes only in February, in two months. There can be many things happening. They can change coach, players, there is a transfer window. “In my opinion, this is not the right time to analyse this team.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Read More →

Florida’s Governor Is Sending Personal Letters To Football Recruits Who Stay Home, Play For Gators

first_imgA Florida Gators player running on the field with a Florida Gators flag.LEXINGTON, KY – SEPTEMBER 23: Chauncey Gardner Jr #23 of the Florida Gators celebrates after the 28-27 win over the Kentucky Wildcats at Kroger Field on September 23, 2017 in Lexington, Kentucky. (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)Yesterday, 5-star Florida defensive end signee CeCe Jefferson shared that he had received a letter from Florida Governor Rick Scott congratulating him for staying in-state for college. It appears Scott is sending these letters to other UF signees from the Sunshine State. Here is a photo of the letter that was sent to Pasco High School defensive lineman Andrew Ivie, courtesy of his coach Tom McHugh. To Andrew Ivie pic.twitter.com/gWzqsyPNzw— Tom McHugh (@tmac114) April 1, 2015This is interesting, because it appears Scott is making a concerted effort to thank recruits for playing in-state. Wonder how FSU fans feel about this, unless he is sending them to Seminole signees as well.last_img read more

Read More →